Welcome to Mrs Hayes' Year 3 page
Keystage 2 - Year 3 Curriculum
Year 3 pupils are taught a wide variety of subjects from the New Curriculum and are assessed throughout the year against milestone 2. Throughout lower key stage 2 they will be assessed using a basic, advancing or deep understanding of their learning, using the milestone criteria.
What subjects do we cover?
• English: Writing, Reading and Communication
• Mathematics: To know and use numbers, multiplication and division, fractions, properties of shape, position, direction and movement, measures, statistics and algebra
• Science: working scientifically, biology, chemistry and physics
• Art and Design Technology
• Physical Education
• Religious Education
• Personal development and Citizenship, including our school Christian Values.
• MFL- French
Although there are all these discrete subjects, many are taught through a themed approach through a range of exciting topics and themes throughout the school year. In the Year 3 Class, our Christian school values are deeply embedded and every day we discuss our belief of the day which links to our focused Christian value for the half term.
Key Class information, including homework
- Reading books are changed once a week, on a Monday
- Please send in a PE kit on a Monday and we will send it home every Friday for washing
- Spelling Test – Monday (Results sent home on Monday in Home School Record Book)
- Multiplication/Division tests – Thursday (Results sent home the following Monday in Home School Record Book)
- Reading Homework – please read with your child at least 3 times a week (Checked every Monday)
- KIRFs – Key Instant Recall Facts (See below for more details)
- Key words - some children may still be learning to read the 300 key words, these will be checked every Friday (new lists will be sent home on a Friday)
KIRFs - Key Instant Recall Facts are designed to support the development of the mental skills that underpin much of the mathematics work in school. They are particularly useful when calculating, be it adding, subtracting, multiplying or dividing. Each half term, children will be assessed in their year group's KIRF.